Crowdfunding is a process in which a lot of people pay small amounts of money to raise a large sum of money. Often this money is raised to aid a cause like the setting up of a school, the treatment of a person or an animal. The biggest draw in crowdfunding is still from medical fundraising which is the largest market for crowdfunding sites.
Why is medical fundraising so popular in India? Well, India like many other countries does not have a strong government-run healthcare sector. In most parts of India, government hospitals are overworked. Private hospitals are too expensive to be affordable for most people. Medical insurance is a must but large sections of society cannot afford it and even when they do have medical insurance, not all the costs are covered. Hence, medical crowdfunding India has become popular.
Cancer treatment and organ transplant are two areas in which assistance is sought from the masses. However, there are other ways in which crowdfunding can be done. For example, you can crowdsource your medical bills. Many people are likely to need detection and diagnosis of all kinds of disease. They fund themselves unable to access medical care. A critical diagnosis like cancer and cirrhosis can get delayed because of the lack of accessibility to healthcare. Crowdfunding your general medical bills is a good way to address that.
What can you achieve by doing this? You can get a better quality of life by crowdfunding your medical bills. You do not have to worry about how you can raise the money. A good way of doing this is by creating a support system. Starting a fundraiser on the right platform and promoting it in the right away can go a long way in creating a support system for you.
Support systems are primarily for people who do not have enough to pay for their medical treatment. Yet, their medical costs are quite high. They could consist of senior citizens, people with mental health issues, people with chronic illnesses etc. If you are someone (or know someone) who needs medical support and cannot get it because of the lack of funds, here are some things you can do:
- Choose a crowdfunding platform. Make sure your crowdfunding platform is experienced with medical crowdfunding online. It should also be able to provide you with a manager. Always go for a crowdfunding platform that charges a service fee and delivers on the services. Read up about all that is available.
- Start a fundraiser. Your fundraiser should be terse but able to make your point. It should explain why you cannot afford healthcare and why you need to raise money to pay your medical bills. You can upload pictures of erstwhile diagnosis and a video from you. This makes your fundraiser more credible.
- You could start medical crowdfunding with a team. This lets someone else have your back in case you are taken ill. It also divides up the work between a number of people.
- If you think your social media outreach is not enough, you can ask your team to share and write about your fundraiser. This makes it easy for you to reach people who do not know you.
- If you think one fundraiser is not enough for you, you can create support fundraisers to share them on social media. Having a group of support fundraisers allows you to cut across social boundaries and raise smaller but relevant amounts of money over a period of time.
Crowdfunding is low risk and low investment. If you need money for medical treatment, there is no better way to do it than to crowdfund it.